What Is a Zirconia Crown & its benefits?
Dental crowns are the coverings used to cover up a worn down or discolored tooth. These can be used with bridges to strengthen several teeth that are broken, weak, or misshapen teeth. Earlier, crowns were made of materials like ceramic and metal but now another option of zirconia is also available. This blog answers the question What is a Zirconia Crown and its benefits.
Zirconia Crown is a dental crown or cap which is made from zirconium dioxide (referred as zirconia) that covers a tooth or a dental implant. Zirconia is an element, basically a type of crystal with particular characteristics such as strength and durability that make Zirconia crowns long lasting and indestructible. Moreover, Zirconia is a very strong material which is compatible with the human body and is thus used in many other medical applications such as artificial joints. With zirconia there is no fear of body rejecting or displaying any allergic reaction thus making it safe over crowns made of porcelain fused to metal.
Benefits of Zirconia Crown
Several factors like decaying, injuries, and natural aging cause wearing down or breaking of teeth. Other factors like grinding the teeth, a crossbite, and chewing on hard objects can cause a change in shape or reduction in size and even loss of teeth. A zirconia crown cannot help grow the natural tooth but it can prevent further decay and improve the affected tooth’s appearance. Below we have mentioned some of the benefits of Zirconia Crown as they are becoming increasingly common nowadays.
1.) Strength and Durability
It is one of the biggest advantages of zirconia crowns. Our back teeth exert too much force on the food chewing so crowns need to be made of a tough material. Zirconia becomes a good choice for crowns for the back teeth in the mouth.
2.) Long lasting
Crowns made of zirconia, called monolithic zirconia crowns, are especially durable which have fared well over the course of 5 years as compared to metal-based crowns, according to the Journal of Dentistry in 2017.
Biocompatibility means producing lesser reactions like inflammation or swelling in gums. Dentists choose Zirconia because its smooth surface helps to reduce plaque buildup. The material also increases a healthy tissue response.
4.) Same-day procedure
Earlier the dentists used to send an impression of one’s tooth to a lab to have a crown made but zirconia crowns can be made in their own clinics which can be cemented the crown into the mouth of the patient in a single visit. The use of a computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technology can be used to speed up the whole process.
Let us have a look at other advantages of Zirconia Crown
- Layered zirconia crowns are really sturdy. They are designed to bond with the zirconium substructure to prevent chipping or fracturing.
- It is suitable for people with metal allergies who are in search of having a metal-free restoration.
- Zirconia crowns can be made to suit the requirements of the patients. It is known for minimizing the errors and ensuring a brilliant fit for every individual.
- Zirconia does not contain any metal that successfully prevents the darkening of the gingival area. Thus the possibility of metal margins becoming uncovered due to gum recession is eliminated.
- It is a translucent material and this nature of zirconia can transmit the color of adjoining teeth to accurately match the color of the patient’s natural teeth and look original. It can be manufactured in a wide variety of shades, making it a preferred choice of many people.
- CAD/CAM (computer-aided design and manufacturing) processes can be used to for providing the patients with a precise fit with additional benefit of lesser chair-side time for adjusting and cementing these crowns.
- The crowns made with zirconia are relatively comfortable for patients as compared to the conventional PFMs.
To sum up the advantages we can say that the new dental innovation using Zirconium dioxide with the name of Zirconia Crowns are a best fit which help in achieving top dental performance for traumatic teeth. The durability, longevity, biocompatibility offered by the Zirconia crowns is unmatched to its predecessors like PFMs and ceramic restorations. The appearance of these crowns is more like natural teeth and less tooth structure needs to e removed for fitting the crown correctly.
Dental Direkt is a German Company which is #1 manufacturer of Zirconia in Europe. The company was founded in 1998 and has more than 45 lakh worldwide happy customers. The product Zirconium dioxide is made using advanced German technology to give best and metal free aesthetic look to the teeth. The bio-compatible products come in large varieties with a Lifetime Warranty. These products are now available in India exclusively through Dental Direkt India which is Part of Dental Direkt Germany.
One thought on “What is Zirconia Crown and its Benefits”