ZIRCONIA CROWN- IS IT METAL?
Crowns are dental restorations that hide tooth imperfections. Acting just like a cap of the tooth, they are used to cover broken tooth, cracks, and discoloration, and helps in restoring the original tooth structure. With their great concealing and restoring properties, they improve the overall appearance of the tooth. Crowns are made of different materials like metal, ceramic, porcelain, and zirconia. Earlier crowns made from metal, ceramic, and porcelain was popular, but with the latest development and technology in the dental field, the crowns made from zirconia has gained people’s preferences and choice.
Metal Ceramic Crown-
Earlier metal crowns were mostly used to design dental restorations. They had a metallic frame lined with ceramic. These crowns had their own set of disadvantages. They looked artificial and would cause allergies to patients who were having problems with metals. The lifespan of the dental restorations also had a short life term. With time, the metal beneath the crown shows up and the gums too get loose. This made the patient uncomfortable and lowered his esteem while smiling or speaking in public places.
Porcelain Fused Metal Crowns-
These crowns have a metallic interior that is fused to porcelain. They are less expensive than metallic crowns. The major drawback of this crown is that they are prone to chipping and are bulkier than metallic crowns. These crowns have a darker shade and may give an artificial appearance.
In recent times, dental doctors are suggesting putting crowns that are made from a biocompatible material Zirconia. How do zirconia crowns perform, are Zirconia crowns made of metal or ceramic, and what is their life span, these may be the questions that may strike in the minds of people who are getting dental restorations made of a material called Zirconia. This article will try to target these questions and some other queries related to crowns made of Zirconia.
Zirconia crowns are made of biocompatible material Zirconium Dioxide. It is a white-colored ceramic powder that is metal-free and highly resistant. Dental restorations made from Zirconia provide great strength and durability to patients. As these crowns provide greater strength, dental caps made from them can be made as thin as possible.
These caps are better than metal caps. Another significant feature is that it provides great transparency and a natural look to your teeth. With the rising demand for crowns made from Zirconia, it has become the most sought after material used to prepare dental products like Zirconia dental bridges, zirconia fixed bridges, Zirconia veneers, and other dental implants. Following are the benefits of dental restorations made of Zirconia:-
- Because of its naturally white appearance, it gives superior looks to your teeth. Being translucent, it easily gets matched with the color of the existing teeth.
- Zirconia crowns do not contain any metal lining at the gums which are present in porcelain fused metal crowns.
- As it is made from a biocompatible material, zirconium dioxide, it causes no allergic reaction to the patients and is easily accepted by the human body.
- Zirconia possesses great strength. This property helps in furnishing crowns that are resistant to wear and tear. They help in normal chewing and eating and provide better bite pressure. If they are maintained properly and given the required attention, they can last for a lifetime.
- In earlier times PFM tooth crowns were the most preferred choice of dentists. The reason was that these crowns bonded well with the teeth and hold the crowns securely in their place. This property is better exhibited by the zirconia crowns and improved efficiency is also provided.
- Many people in the past chose gold crowns because of their excellent physical properties. However, they lack a natural appearance and hence gave an artificial look. So the crowns made from zirconia replaced them and provided a metal-free natural-looking smile.
There are three types of Zirconia Crown:
- Solid or Zirconia Monolithic
- Layered Zirconia
- High translucent
They are used as per the requirements of the patients and the place where dental restoration has to be placed. Despite their magnetic features, there are some disadvantages of Zirconia crowns. Getting a perfectly matched Zirconia crown is not an easy task. It takes a long time to have a crown that exactly matches your natural tooth. The other disadvantage is that because of its hardness, it may cause damage to the neighbouring tooth.
Zirconia crowns’ strength makes them by far the best crowns for front teeth. They do not cause any allergic reaction, get easily adjusted, and give long-lasting strength to your teeth. Apart from giving natural look, they perform better in terms of functionality. These metal free crowns are safe and durable and give you a natural looking tooth. When you look at zirconia tooth cap price, it may seem to be more costly than their counterparts.
But looking at their benefits you will be lured to get them as future dental restorations. The dentists also suggest going for these crowns. Its remarkable properties are rated high in terms of acceptance and aesthetics.
Zirconia crowns do not have a black border which makes them appear natural and provides excellent looks. As they possess more transparency, they look the same as your natural tooth and hide imperfections. The crowns made from Zirconia do not allow light to pass through them. It is one of the strongest substances and has a lifespan of more than 14 years.
When we compare zirconia crowns with ceramic crowns and porcelain crowns, we can easily deduce that the former has many reasons for being chosen as the best material for dental implants.
Zirconia crowns are fully safe for the adjacent teeth too and do not cause any stumping. With the latest developments in the dental world, they get easily fitted on top of your existing teeth. The cost of zirconia crowns might seem to be more than the ceramic crown but you don’t have to worry about any chipping or cracking issues.
They are known to provide long lasting results for up to that 14 years and are free from wear and tear. The price of Zirconia crowns offered by some brands lies between 20,000 INR to 30,000 INR. The price of Zirconia Classic asked by the manufacturers starts from 15,000 INR and can go up to 20,000 INR.
The premium range of Zirconia is still higher than the above-mentioned crowns, it is about 25,000 INR. If you want to have this crown and that too in your budget, you have the choice of selecting these crowns made by the German-certified company Dental Direkt. This company has been customizing Zirconia crowns and other dental products that come within your budget. The lowest range starts from 8000 INR.
Although the zirconia crowns are reliable and are damaged proof still the best crowns also need some extra care. To make them have an elongated life, you should take proper care of them. You should make it a habit to rinse your mouth after every meal.
Try to avoid chewy and sugary food items. Distance yourself from colas, beverages, and other aerated drinks. Brush your teeth twice a day with toothpaste that does not contain harsh chemicals. There are kinds of toothpaste on the market that contains natural substances and do not cause any threat to the crowns or dental implants.
Supersmile and Sensodyne Pronamel are popular examples of good toothpaste. When buying the best toothpaste for your teeth, you should look for the following parameters:
- It should be free from harsh abrasive whitening agents like hydrated silica, baking soda, or hydrogen peroxide.
- You can opt for scaling treatments rather than toothpaste that have whitening agents.
- Use toothpaste that is approved by ADA which makes the toothpaste undergo safety and efficiency tests.
- The Gel toothpaste is usually free of abrasive material and is best suited for your dental restorations.
- The dentists recommend using fluoride based toothpaste that protects your enamel and saves it from further damage.
Whether you want to have an anterior zirconia crown or full mouth Zirconia crowns, you would get the crowns that are better, safer, and durable, and provide you long lasting results. The zirconia tooth cap price varies from place to place. It also depends on the doctor’s fees, his experience, and other related costs. You can check with your local dentists and ask for the best ones made by Dental Direkt which come at the lowest possible rates.